Here are some ‘fast, fun and fairly simple’ Crazy Mary projects for you to try your hand at. You may have purchased a Crazy Mary Crafts mini-kit, or you might just feel like having a go… All you’ll need is needle, thread, some bits and bobs of fabric, beads, sequins, card etc. Please just bear in mind that all designs are copyright Mary Halbert 2010.
Here’s the first one: Why not create a ‘FUNKY FELT FLOWER’?. You could attach this to a brooch pin, a hairslide, a greetings card, notebook etc… It looks good in either contrasting or colours or similar shades of one colour.
You’ll need 3 small pieces of felt (acrylic or wool) , 2 shades of machine embroidery thread, a pin and whatever you want to attach your flower to (eg brooch pin/hairslide) and a sewing machine (although you can do this by hand if you prefer).
1. Cut out a flower shape about 7cm across, plus 2 circles – one about 4cm wide, the other about 3.8cm.
2. Pin them together to make a flower.
3. Using one colour thread, stitch a line across the centre of the flower, over the 2 centre circles. Overstitch the line a couple of times; then add 2 more lines, to cut the flower centre into 6 equal (ish!) segments.
4. Stitch 2or 3 more lines within each segment to create a sort of sun-ray effect dissecting the flower’s centre. You don’t need to break your stitching at all if you start each new line at the centre.
5. Continue stitching around the edge of the flower’s centre, creating a wavy effect – just go round and round a few times.
6. Change thread and do a few more wavy circles over the top of the last circular bit. It’s all meant to look at bit wobbly, so don’t try to make perfectly concentric circles – just go with the flow!
Then finish off, attach your funky flower to a pin/hairslide and WEAR WITH PRIDE!
Alternatively, you could hand stitch the flower using threads such as stranded cottons, for a different effect:
Still feeling creative? Let’s make a JAZZY STRIPES CARD!
You need for a card with a 5x5cm aperture: 7x7cm square calico/backing fabric, 5 3x7cm strips of bright fabrics (I used silks & satins, but anything will do! In fact pastels or neutrals will work beautifully too, but Crazy Mary likes to be bright!), machine thread, variegated/plain shiny hand-stitching thread (Stef Francis 4-strand rayon works for me..), pins, needles, small seed beads, iron, baking parchment (if your fabrics are heat-sensitive), double-sided tape.
1. Decide how you want to arrange your coloured strips. Pin the first one to the top edge of your calico square. Overlap it with the next strip at an angle – I do slanted joins, but it depends what effect you want! Machine stitching is quickest, but neat hand stitching is fine! Then trim the seam, fold back & press, using baking parchment to protect delicate fabrics.
2. Overlap the second colour with colour number 3; pinning, stitching, trimming and pressing back as before.
3. Repeat this process until you’ve attached all 5 strips, then press flat and trim to 7x7cm.
4. Decorate with hand stitching, however takes your fancy, and add seed beads for a bit of sparkle if that’s your kind of thing (which it definitely is mine!).
5. Jiggle around behind the aperture until you are happy with the effect you get and then attach with double-sided tape.
6. Et voila! A Crazy Mary Crafts Jazzy Stripes card – send with love to someone you care about…
Now how about a heart themed greetings card? Perfect for Valentines Day, a wedding or anniversary… Here are 2 possiblities:
For the hand stitched felt heart card (right) you’ll need:
• Rectangle of cream felt 6.5cm x 10.5cm (wool/rayon mix is good, but any felt will do)
• Red felt heart
• Embroidery threads
• Blank greetings card , double-sided tape
1) Pin red felt heart to centre of rectangle.
2) Stitch around edge of heart using blanket stitch.
3) Stitch a border of 2 parallel rows of running stitch around the rectangle.
4) Sew the button onto the top of the heart.
5) Attach the design to the card using double-sided tape.
For the machined printed cotton heart design (left) you’ll need:
• Rectangle of red cotton fabric 6.5cm x 10.5cm
• Rectangle of red felt 6.5cm x 10.5cm (craft felt is fine)
• Piece of bondaweb (fusible webbing) 6.5cm x 10.5cm (optional)
• Small piece of bondaweb for heart motif (optional)
• Small scrap of printed cotton for heart
• Blank greetings card , double-sided tape
• Machine threads, sewing machine.
Instructions: (NB Bondaweb is optional – careful pinning works nearly as well!)
1) Iron the bondaweb onto craft felt; peel off the paper backing.
2) Iron the red cotton onto the ‘bondawebbed’ felt.
3) Draw a heart motif onto bondaweb’s paper side and iron onto reverse side of printed fabric.
4) Cut out the heart, peel off the backing and iron onto the red cotton.
5) Stitch 2 or 3 rows of straight machine stitch around the edge of the rectangle.
6) Free machine 2 or 3 rows around the edge of the heart.
7) Attach the design to the card using double-sided tape.